Please leave returned books in the Library's drop box. The return box is accessible to members 24/7 outside the entrance to the main reading room. Please apply hand sanitizer - a dispenser may be found on the wall behind - before opening the box's pull down door. Ordinarily, all texts must be returned to the libraries from which they came in Oxford. Guidance for returning books to the Bodleian Libraries during the Covid-19 pandemic may be found on the Bodleian Libraries Website.
You may renew your loans on SOLO (see the instructions on the Bodleian Libraries guide to SOLO).
If you would like to continue borrowing a book which you’ve already renewed the maximum number of times, please bring it back to the Library and ask the Library staff to re-issue it for you.
If you want to borrow an item which is on loan (indicated by a due date on SOLO) you may "request" it (following the same process used for click and collect), to ensure it is reserved for you when it is returned to the Library.
If you would like a book to be returned with some urgency, please contact the Library staff. Staff will contact the current borrower and ask him / her to return the required item as soon as possible.
Please let the Library staff know about any books which have been lost or damaged whilst on loan to you (see library rules). You may be expected to cover replacement costs. However, if there's any chance that a misplaced book could be retrieved and you will not be leaving Oxford imminently, extra time to search for it will be granted.
* Sign in to SOLO with your Single Sign-On.
* Locate the item you wish to borrow (search as normal and click on "Find & Request" under the appropriate record).
* Click on the "Request" button. Note, this button will not appear if you are not signed in, the chosen item is not eligible for borrowing, or the item is temporarily available in digital format through the HathiTrust (please email the Library if the digital copy is insufficient).
* A new window should open. Confirm your reservation by clicking on "SEND REQUEST".
* The item will be fetched from the shelves by the Library staff (usually within 3 working days) - please send an email or phone if you need it urgently. Note, delivery will be delayed if the book is on loan to another reader (borrowed books will not be listed as "Available" on SOLO - a due date will be visible instead).
* When the item is ready for collection, you will receive an email.
* Members with card access may collect items from a trolley near the entrance to the Main Reading Room at any point within the following 7 days (no need to book a visit).
* Your book may be identified by a code comprised of the first 3 letters of your surname and the last 4 numbers of your University card. Once you find your book, you may take it and leave.
Note, the Bodleian Libraries' slightly different click and collect service (which requires a booked collection time) is detailed on their website.
Before you take a book out of the Library, please make sure to record your loan. Take it to the Library's self-issue computer (opposite the reception desk), and follow the instructions on screen. Remember to scan the College's barcode within the book's first pages. If you have any difficulty using the self-issue machine in the absence of staff, please complete borrowers' slips (available on the same desk).