The Wind Room contains a closed-stack collection comprising (mostly) publications purchased by, or in memory of Oxford's first Professor of the History of Art, Edgar Wind (1900-1971), both for himself and also for the History of Art Department. While there is a strong focus on the art of Italy and on iconography and iconology (Wind was Erwin Panofsky’s first doctoral student), the collections reflect Professor Wind’s extremely broad research interests. New publications in Wind’s areas of interest continue to be collected. Early publications (15th - 18th centuries) are housed in the Wind Room itself with more recent publications housed either in the Sackler's open-stacks or at the Bodleian Libraries' offsite facility. Non-book materials relating to Edgar Wind during his Oxford years also may be found in other locations.
Edgar Marcel Wind
The Wind Room as a Seminar Room
Thanks to the renovation of the Wind Room in 2015, the Wind Room may now be used as a small seminar room. Its principal function is for study and teaching, using library materials.
The locked bookcases surrounding the room house early printed books mostly assembled by Edgar Wind for the former History of Art departmental library.
Art & Architecture Librarian
Wind Room, Sackler Library, Summer 2015.
Early imprints collected by Professor Wind for the History of Art Department's Library, as well as some other materials, line the walls of this space.