Finding books and journals
Use SOLO to search for books and journals held in Oxford libraries (Bodleian, faculty libraries and college libraries).
Use author and/or title searches to find books. If you are looking for books on a topic, type in useful subject terms. E.g. Great Britain History Civil War. [more on subject searching]
Key journals (partially available online)
Western European journals
Finding journal articles
Don't search for journal articles in SOLO! If you know the journal it was published in, search by journal title. If you don't know where an article has been published in, the best way to locate journal articles by a particular author or on a particular subject, is to use a bibliographical database.
- Historical Abstracts (c. 1450-current; world history excl. North America)
- Bibliography of British & Irish History (Roman Britain to current; British, Irish and Commonwealth countries)
Looking for reviews of book, articles, textbooks and digital resources? Reviews are
- published in journals (e.g. Past & Present) or newspapers (e.g. Times Literary Supplement, New York Book Reviews, etc.)
- indexed in a few databases such as Historical Abstracts;
- published in H-Net;
- Reviews in History publishes reviews and reappraisals of significant work in all fields of historical interest. The ejournals includes over 1000 reviews to date and new reviews appear regularly. You can browse reviews by type of review (digital reviews, textbooks, articles, books, etc.) or by subject, period or country.
Ways to access subscription resources off campus:
- Single Sign On. Sign on to SOLO, OxLIP+ or your University email and your browser retains the sign on. This allows you to access most e-resources as if you were on campus.
- VPN (Virtual Private Network). Register with OUCS to log on to the network via VPN. Once logged on you can access all e-resources as if you were on campus.
For further information see the Bodleian Libraries remote access guide.