- Oxford dissertations. These are all deposited in the Bodleian and are treated as manuscripts. All doctoral dissertations, however, now have entries on SOLO.
- Dissertations of other British universities. These can be made available in the Bodleian on Inter-Library Loan.
- Foreign dissertations. Many dissertations from European universities, and a small number of American dissertations are held by the Bodleian. Those before 1973 are mostly only to be found in the Foreign Dissertation Catalogue (please ask staff); later ones will be found on SOLO.
The principal published lists of dissertations on music are:
- Doctoral Dissertations in Musicology, ed. C. Adkins and A. Dickinson, with its supplement to 1995 (shelved at MUS.BF.2). This provides full retrospective coverage for North American universities, plus coverage from 1972 to 1995 for European ones. It has now been superseded by Doctoral Dissertations in Musicology – Online.
- 'Register of Dissertations and Theses on Music in Britain and Ireland' in the Royal Musical Association Research Chronicle (MUS.PER.26). The latest cumulative list is in vol.25 (1992). Non-doctoral dissertations are also included. The most current list of British theses (in all disciplines) can be found in the online Index to Theses, accessible to Oxford University users via SOLO or remote login.
- Full retrospective lists of German-language dissertations to 1970 will be found in Richard Schaal: Verzeichnis deutschsprachigen musikwissenschaftlichen Dissertationen (MUS.BF.5). Retrospective coverage of French dissertations will be found in Jean Gribenski: French Language Dissertations in Music (MUS.BF.6).